Call Us 24/7!

Ventura U Visa/VAWA Attorney

Ventura U Visa Lawyer & VAWA Attorney

Are you an immigrant who’s been a victim of crime? While no one wants to be the subject of criminal activity, it can allow you to be eligible for certain benefits. Our Ventura U Visa/VAWA attorney can help you find the silver lining in what may be a difficult time.

We have been practicing law for almost three decades. We dedicated our service to helping clients find solutions to their legal problems. And that’s why we’re here: to help you!

If you want to know more about your immigration options, schedule a consultation with our Ventura immigration law firm.

Why Should I Hire a U Visa/VAWA Attorney in California?

Ventura U visa attorney

Dealing with the consequences of a crime is already difficult as it is. No one deserves to go through the trauma of abuse or violence. However, if you can help bring a perpetrator to justice, then you may be eligible for a nonimmigrant visa.

As this involves many complex areas of the law, it’s best to enlist the aid of a legal professional. With so much at risk, you need someone who can connect the many complex parts and find out what’s the best course of action you can take.

El Camino Inmigracion has the legal knowledge and dedication that can help you find a solution to your issues. We can use our almost 30 years of experience to provide insight into your immigration case.

If you’re ready to speak to a knowledgeable attorney, call our Ventura immigration attorney to discuss your case.

What is a U Visa?

According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), a U visa is reserved for victims of certain crimes who help in catching a criminal. The visa was created in line with the passage of the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act, along with the Battered Immigrant Women’s Protection Act. If you’ve been abused and are willing to help law enforcement, you may qualify for a U Visa.

How Do I Qualify for a U Visa?

You must satisfy the following requirements before you can apply for a U visa:

  • You suffered because of a qualifying criminal activity
  • As a victim of illegal activity, you faced mental or physical abuse.
  • You have information about the activity.
  • You have helped, are currently helping, or are likely to help to investigate or prosecute the crime.
  • The crime happened in the USA and violated the country’s laws.
  • You are admissible into the US.

If you think you qualify for a U Visa, you can ask El Camino Inmigracion to make sure. Call our Ventura U Visa attorney to learn more!

What are the Qualifying Crimes?

Not all criminal activity can allow you to qualify for a U Visa. Here is the list of the qualifying activity:

  • Unlawful criminal restraint
  • Witness tampering
  • Trafficking
  • Torture
  • Stalking
  • Slave trade
  • Sexual exploitation
  • Sexual assault
  • Rape
  • Prostitution
  • Perjury
  • Peonage
  • Obstruction of justice
  • Murder
  • Manslaughter
  • Kidnapping
  • Involuntary servitude
  • Incest
  • Hostage
  • Fraud in foreign labor contracting
  • Felonious assault
  • Female genital mutilation
  • False imprisonment
  • Extortion
  • Domestic violence
  • Blackmail
  • Abusive sexual contact
  • Abduction

If you’ve been the victim of the above crimes, you may qualify for a U visa. Call El Camino Inmigracion today to find out!

Is a U Visa Permanent?

U visas fall under the category of nonimmigrant visas, making it only for a temporary stay. It is valid for four years, but you can apply for an extension under specific circumstances. These include:

  • Request from law enforcement
  • Exceptional circumstances
  • Delays in consular processing

If you do not qualify for extensions under the above reasons, you may still stay in the US if you apply for a Green Card. A pending green card application automatically extends your U Visa period, and once the application is successful, you are granted a lawful permanent resident (LPR) status. This gives you the ability to work and live permanently in the United States!

If you have any questions about extension or green card applications, feel free to ask our qualified Ventura immigration lawyer.

What is VAWA?

VAWA stands for the federal law known as the Violence Against Women Act. The legislation provides LPR status for victims of battery or extreme cruelty by any of the following:

  • An LPR parent
  • An LPR spouse or ex-spouse
  • A US citizen son or daughter
  • A US citizen parent
  • A US citizen spouse or ex-spouse

You can self-petition without the consent of your abusive relative. Contact us to help ensure the success of your petition.

What is an Adjustment of Status?

To get a green card under VAWA, you have to undergo an adjustment of status. This is the process for individuals in the US to get their LPR status. The other option is consular processing, which is a process that takes place outside the US.

How Do Become Eligible for VAWA Adjustment of Status?

Here are the requirements to qualify for VAWA immigration:

  • A properly filed Form I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status)
  • You are physically in the US at the time of filing
  • You are eligible to get a visa
  • An immigrant visa is available when you file and when USCIS makes a decision on your case
  • No bars to adjustment apply to you
  • You are admissible for LPR status, or for a waiver of inadmissibility or similar forms of relief

What is a Bar to Adjustment?

There are certain acts that can prevent you from adjusting your status. These involve your mode of entry into the United States or whether you violated immigration laws. VAWa self-petitioners are exempt from these bars to adjustment.

If you need help with your self-petition, you can enlist the aid of our knowledgeable Ventura attorney.

Call our Ventura U Visa & VAWA Attorney

Hiring an immigration attorney to assist you is the best way to ensure that your immigration petition is handled correctly. A skilled California U Visa/VAWA attorney increases your chances of receiving DACA and postponing deportation.

Give us a call now and speak to a California immigration attorney at El Camino Inmigracion today!

El Camino Inmigracion provides legal services for all types of immigration cases, including:

Call Us!
(805) 477-0070

We Can Get You Into The United States

Sidebar Form

We're Here to Get You into the United States!

Ask a California Immigration Lawyer

Allow our immigration attorney to solve your problems. Whether it’s your legal status or general questions about the immigration process, don’t hesitate to ask law office!